What is OSQA? OSQA is…
- the ‘Open Source Question and Answer’ system
- a way to connect people to the information they’re looking for
- software that’s distributed for free under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence (GPL)
- written in Python and powered by the Django application framework
- brought to you by the folks at DZone*, the home of one of the web’s biggest software developer communities
What features does OSQA have and what can I do with it?
At its very core, OSQA is a social question and answer system. However, OSQA’s roadmap includes features and functions that extend its usefulness beyond just a Q&A site. Those features include:
- A question and answer engine that’s dead simple to use, has wiki-like features and a voting system
- A social networking engine that allows you to connect with and follow other people and topics and send private messages to each other
- A reputation system that lets you give and receive props for positive contributions to the community
- A powerful search function that helps you find relevant information quickly and easily
- The ability to create groups to help narrow content focus
- The ability to export site data
- The ability to easily federate content that’s created on your site (federating content = reusing content generated on one of your sites in another)
- The ability to import data from your current or old Stack Exchange site
- Support for widgets to expand functionality
- Automatic site activity reports
- The ability to customize your site using themes
- The ability to embed videos, audio and images
When all these features and functions are incorporated, the OSQA platform will be powerful enough that you can create virtually anything that your mind can conjure! Potential uses for OSQA include:
- An online forum
- Your company’s support platform
- A new-age blogging platform
- A basic project collaboration platform
- A wiki platform
- A mini-social network (think social networks for clubs, families, etc. to keep in touch, and share information and news)
- A simple Content Management System (CMS)
- A basic Q&A site about any topic (naturally!)
How do I start a site using OSQA?
There are two ways you can create an OSQA site:
- Register with one of our hosting partners who may be able to help you set up and host your OSQA site
- Download the installer package and host it yourself or with your preferred host (more permanent solution)
*Who is DZone?
DZone is a technology publishing company that produces valuable content and resources for the software development community. We started off life as Javalobby, a grassroots developer community and have grown to reach over 2.3M software developers and architects every month.
Why did DZone create OSQA?
DZone created the OSQA platform to power some new sites that we will launch soon.
Why are you giving OSQA away for free?
We strongly believe in the ‘OS’ in OSQA and in giving back to the community that has helped us grow into what we are, so we’re providing the software to anyone who wants to use it for free.